Poking The Bear

Monday, October 10, 2005

Math, Michael Myers & Madness

For me, the world pretty much breaks up into three basic categories: words, numbers and everything else. And out of all the subcategories that fall under the basic ones, there are very few things that can conceptually scare me as much as math.

Math was always the one subject I could never excel at. I couldn’t even come close to being decent at it. Remember the kid in math class who was asking to copy your homework ten minutes before class and always had that panicked “oh fuck” look on their face during tests? That was me. I always took the road less numerically traveled and that made all the difference; i.e., permitted me to scrape by, thus dragging down my otherwise impressive (honk, honk) GPA.

The logic required to grasp mathematical concepts ran away from my brain sometime during eighth grade and has never been seen since. I never bothered looking for it.

Avoiding math at all costs became my mode of survival and directly/indirectly contributed to my choosing English as a major in college. The thought that I’ll never have to take another math class as long as I live and breathe, allows me to sleep at night with a soundness unlike any other.

However, you know how some people have nightmares about falling to their deaths or being trapped in a room with a limited supply of oxygen? Sadly, I have those about math.

Not surprisingly, last night I was plagued by a nightmare about getting a “D” on a math test that I had no recollection of ever taking. I kept looking at it, thinking, how could I get a “D” if I only got ten out of one-hundred questions wrong? In what alternate universe did 90% become a “D!”

I was even more frustrated when some kid tried to explain the teacher’s perplexingly intricate grading system. And the fact that I couldn’t quite understand this system of curves, slopes and numbers, angered me even more because math was now fucking me harder than ever before.

Frustratingly enough, my dream sort of faded right before I approached the teacher about my grade, so I never really understood why I got the unjust grade that I did. But regardless, it made me feel like shit.

Then my dream sort of switched over to me sitting in the back of a moving car and Michael Myers chasing me with a large knife. (Think “Jurassic Park” when Jeff Goldblum is sitting backwards in backseat of the Jeep and the T-Rex is chasing dangerously close behind.). Only I kept kicking the crap out of Mike Myers and he just wouldn’t stop. That went on for a few minutes and I eventually woke up in a dry-mouthed sweaty panic.

The ironically sad part? I’ll take the Mike Myers dream over the math one any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

3 Comments:

  • I have never been a math person either but luckily it mostly leaves me alone in the dream world. On the other hand, I'm still constantly having English dreams -- like where the semester is almost over but I still have to read 4 books and write a bunch more essays in order to pass. Better than the dreams about falling down stairs I always used to have? Probably not.

    By Blogger Nick, at 9:11 AM  

  • I think my immediate math anxiety is rubbing off on you.

    Sorry, mate.

    By Blogger Myasorubka, at 11:49 PM  

  • The last time I took math was in the 10th grade and I never looked back after the humilliating C- in college prep geometry. Everyone in my family--all two of them--ridicule me for saying that geometry is all about ladders leaning against buildings, (the way the real-lfe nightmare word problems always seemed to start out) However, when it came time for the GRE and I got a 200 on the practice test (out of 800, which basically means 0 as the scores only go down that low--I think--) Stanley Kaplan came to my rescue and I had a second chance at HS math, which diminished some of my math inferiority, but otherwise did not enrich my existence....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home