Poking The Bear

Friday, October 07, 2005

Eye Can See

Had my long-overdue eye exam yesterday. As expected, I’m getting blinder as the years pass and its only a matter of time before I subject myself to the cornea cutting joys of the laser. Maybe.

Other than all the new technology, the eye exam was pretty standard. The best part, however, (besides the ever-so-delightful two poofs of air shot into your eyes that make you flinch and hit your forehead against the forehead rest and look like an idiot glaucoma test thing) was the digital photo shoot.

It was a bit strange because the flash goes off directly into your eyeballs. Remember in “Rear Window” when Jimmy Stewart is blinding Raymond Burr with the flashbulbs and the screen is rendered different shades of red and orange? Well, it was kind of like that, only with greens and purples. So in it’s own mock sixties acid trip sort of way, it was pretty cool...and I didn’t even have to worry about making sure my hair looked okay.

After a few strokes of the keyboard, my eyeballs magically popped up on the computer screen. At that moment, I had a mini-fantasy of me in front of the judging panel and Tyra saying, “Okay, Eti, you had an eye exam. The Doctor said your optical nerve was very strong and healthy and that you were fierce. Here is your best shot.” Damn, that would’ve been awesome.

Once the exam was over, I attempted to discreetly take a picture of the screen with my camera phone, but alas, I was not to be left alone in the room and was too apprehensive to ask for permission. I kind of regret doing that now because I could’ve had the best holiday cards...ever!

But, you know, bygones, hindsight, etc..

3 Comments:

  • My friend Anna asked her doctor for slides of her blood. You can see her blood at http://www.brookhattan.com

    It looks really cool. I would have loved to see your eyeball.

    By Blogger Myasorubka, at 8:45 AM  

  • Be quiet! BE QUIET! I have never in my life yelled at a patient like this! I was writing a prescription for you... we were ALL writing a prescription for you. How dare you! Learn something from this! You get up in the morning and you put your contacts in YOURSELF because nobody's going to put those contacts in for you. You rollin' your eyes in that forehead rest like you heard this all before? You don't know where the hell I come from. I went to Costco Optometry School. I grew from it and I leaaaaarrrn. Take this prescription to to the technician and you take responsibility for yourself.

    By Blogger Nick, at 8:56 AM  

  • Okay, I am a little scared after Nick's comment . . .

    Well, I used to have an eye doctor that took pictures of my eyeball, and I think she let me take a copy home. It’s too bad you didn't ask.

    By Blogger Paula, at 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home