Poking The Bear

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

OK Computer, (Not-So OK Printer)

I’ve been engaged in an ongoing war with my printer, Brother HL-5040, for quite some time now. And the situation has come to a head. Or rather, a drum.

Seems the drum is finally giving out (I know this because the drum light blinks a lot; either that or it’s winking at me, which is also a possibility) and thus papers are getting jammed left and right. Based on my meticulous mathematical calculations (i.e, half-assed estimating) I would say that one out of every eight sheets of paper gets jammed.

Last Thursday, I was so heavily ensconced in a battle with Brother, trying to methodically, albeit not-so-subtly, un-jam a sheet using a letter opener, scissors and a paper clip, that my boss actually walked by and quipped, “I think the printer is winning.”

You know, everyone rants and raves about road rage, and yet I find printer rage to be all but taboo. (Except in the ever-brilliant “Office Space,” to which I tip my hat.)

And even though I love Brother and we’ve been through the shit together (16 hour days, ex-parte motions, threatening letters, et al.), I just don’t like him very much right now.

3 Comments:

  • So one in every eight pages gets jammed, eh? Why not insert a blank eighth page into all your documents? That can be the page for Elijah.

    By Blogger Nick, at 10:23 AM  

  • Ah, it’s all becoming clear now. That guy who threw the punch in the elevator definitely a printer rager.

    By Blogger Paula, at 10:24 AM  

  • Eti You'd love my story about the rig job I had to do on one of my office's fax machine once. One of the one touch buttons broke. It's kinda a tack shape. So the shaft pin broke.

    I came up with a brilliant plan to save the button since everyone in my office was used to using it.

    I melted a small hole through the button with my lighter and a paperclip. I took the plastic air nozzle from a can of compressed air and sized it to the button. I then melted the shaft to the button. It worked until the fax died about a month later.

    Sometimes, ya gotta think outside the box. Btw, you'll have to replace the drum. Take a guess at how many pages printed through it so far. You may find that just buying another printer will be cheaper.

    Good Luck!

    By Blogger Neo, at 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home