Poking The Bear

Monday, September 26, 2005

Trouble Sleeping: Gossamer Angels

Here’s what you do when it’s two in the morning and you’ve been laying in bed since eleven but can’t actually fall asleep:

a.) Lay there some more, toss, turn, repeat.
b.) Replay “Mystic Pizza” in your head.
c.) Watch “Killer Jellyfish” on the Discovery Channel

Last night I opted for d.) All of the above.

The Box Jellyfish, more commonly knows as the Irukandji, was referred to as “Nature’s Most Elusive Killer.” The show was pretty cool, because any show that can use the following phrases, can’t be that bad:

“twenty minutes to enter the bloodstream”
“the worst pain you’ll ever know”
“doctors can’t do anything but monitor and treat your symptoms”
“suffer from two days to two weeks”
“20 irukandji can wipe out a beach of swimmers”

Actually, my favorite part of the entire show was when the narrator referred to them as “gossamer angels.”

Of course, no nature show would be complete without a couple of wild and crazy Aussie scientists. And true to form, they showed these two Aussie marine biologists jump right into irukandji infested waters and (shocker) get stung! And for the next ten minutes (time lapse), the show focused on nothing but their pain. Seriously, they were writhing in their hospital beds for several days. I'm talking fists clenched, teeth gnashing, waxen.

And what do these guys do as soon as they’re released from the hospital? They get right back INTO THE WATER with the fucking jellyfish in the dead of night. Um, guys, I want to introduce you to Ryan "I never learn" Atwood.

At any rate, I think I finally knocked out around three.

2 Comments:

  • I couldn't sleep last night either. I get these Sunday Night Jitters left over from high school and college. When Sunday night hits, I get this crazy anxiety about a paper I didn't finish, or an exam I'm not prepared for. I don't get them so often anymore, but it sucks rhino nads when I do get them.

    By Blogger Myasorubka, at 10:01 AM  

  • Rhino nads? Why, that's the one cure for the poison of the Irukandji!

    By Blogger Nick, at 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home